I had a very productive day on stores van B759852 today, concentrating on the top half once again. All the loose flakes of paint were scrubbed off with a scraper and wire brush, and the planks roughly sanded. Any bare wood was then given a good coating of white wood primer.
While the paint was drying on the left hand side, I managed to move the scaffolding to the right hand side and begin work, using a new method that will hopefully be a lot quicker and easier than removing all the internal and external planks of a panel as I did previously. In an hour or two I was able to cut all the bolts required and knock them through, saving a lot of time and effort in the process. Next week will see the removal of a few screws and the two split planks should come out fairly quickly and easily... (famous last words).
View from across the tracks, the top left quarter is now ready for undercoat to match the doors, before painting BR Bauxite.
Closer view of top left quarter, cleaned and painted with white primer.
I finished up by tracing the existing lettering off the van, in order to make stencils over the next few weeks for reapplying the lettering after a full repaint.