Friday 21 January 2011

Irony

Humble pie time for me this week... No sooner had I corrected 'The Railway Magazine' on the status and livery of '14029', I learned that BPOT 80456 was not to be outshopped in early Post Office Red as expected and reported in 'Nene Steam', but BR Blue & Grey! I'm very pleased for this last-minute decision, as the carriage will now emerge in a livery appropriate for its condition and age (1968) and will offer something different to the impressive PO Red rake at the GCR. 'Type 4' D306 in its 'transition' livery will look particulary good with these coaches in tow.


However '14029' (D9529) will still emerge in BR Blue!


The privately owned Southern Railway brakevan has come up to Wansford yard from Peterborough for restoration work to be undertaken. The buffers have been put back on and the rust explosion on the solebar has been repaired. The new steelwork has been painted in green primer as seen on the left-hand side of the photo.


The 'Lowmac' has been emptied of the canopy supports that it has carried for some years. These are now being cleaned up, hopefully for re-use in construction of a new canopy outsite the cafe.


I spent a little time painting the bare timber patches of 'Vanfit' B759852 with white primer (in the best tradition of Airfix kits, I got some on my best jumper). It is now ready for undercoat.